The Paramount Guide to Blocked Accounts for Germany


Moving abroad is a dream of many students. A place like Germany, known for its top-tier educational institutions, robust economy, and rich cultural heritage, sounds like an attractive place for students and professionals. However, one of the essential steps in this journey is understanding and managing the financial requirements, specifically the concept of a “blocked account.”

A blocked account, known as “Sperrkonto” in German, is a special type of bank account that banks primarily design for international students and other foreigners who need to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to obtain a German visa. This article will help you as a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about blocked accounts in Germany. From the reasons for needing them to how to set up one, along with some additional tips to simplify your process.

Why a Blocked Account?

Germany needs authentication of financial stability to ensure that students and other visa applicants can support themselves without being dependent upon anyone or government. The blocked accounts  serve as evidence that the application has adequate funds to cover living expenses during their stay in Germany.

From 2024, the German administration states clearly that students must have a minimum €11,208 deposited in a blocked account, which means about €934 per month for a year. In this amount it will cover rent, transportation, food and other expenses. 

Setting Up a Blocked Account

1. Choosing a Provider

Many banks and financial institutions offer blocked account services. Few of the most renowned options are Deutsche Bank, Fintiba, and Expatrio. Each option has its own merit and demerit, so it’s up to you to do your research and choose the one that best suits your likes and dislikes. 

2. Application Process

Application process involves the following steps:

  • Opening the Account: Fill out the application form provided by your chosen bank. This can usually be done online.
  • Verification: Submit the required documents, which typically include a valid passport, university admission letter (for students), and visa application form. Some banks may require additional documentation.
  • Deposit Funds: Transfer the required amount (€11,208 as of 2024) to the blocked account. Be mindful of any transfer fees that may apply.
  • Confirmation: Once the funds are deposited, the bank will issue a confirmation letter, which you will need to present to the German consulate or embassy as part of your visa application.

3. Using the Blocked Account

As you reach Germany, you can inherit monthly expenses from your blocked account. Mostly, it is around €934 a month. You have to open a regular bank account in Germany to get your monthly disbursements.

Important Considerations

1. Processing Time

It usually takes several months to complete the process, from application to receiving the confirmation letter. It is suggested to start applying in advance if you are planning to move to Germany. 

2. Costs Involved

Asides the initial deposit, building up a blocked account costs various fees. It may include account setup fees, monthly maintenance fees, and transfer fees. Everyone’s fee structure varies, so it’s essential to analyze it costs into your budget 

3. Account Closure

At the end of your stay, you have to close your blocked account. It involves submitting a request to the bank and providing proof that you are leaving Germany, like a deregistration certificate. The leftover funds in the blocked account will be transferred to your regular bank account. 

Alternatives to Blocked Accounts

As blocked account are the most used method of demonstration financial stability, there are many other ways also like:

1. Scholarships: If you have been awarded a scholarship that covers your living expenses, the scholarship certificate can serve as proof of financial resources.

2. Sponsorship: A resident in Germany can act as a financial sponsor by submitting a formal declaration of commitment, known as a “Verpflichtungserklärung.”

3. Parental Income: Some consulates accept proof of parental income or assets as evidence of financial support.

Common Challenges and Solutions

1. Delays in Account Opening

There might be delays due to incomplete documentation or high demand for blocked accounts. To avoid this, ensure that you have all the required documents ready and double checked the application needs. 

2. Insufficient Funds

Funding such as scholarships, part-time work opportunities, or loans can fill the gap of required amount exceeding your budget.  However, it should be kept in mind that working hours for students are less, and balancing work with studies could be difficult. 

3. Understanding the Process

Process could be tough and confusing, majorly if you are not familiar with the German banking system. You can use the sources like university international offices, student forums, and professional advisory services to get the help you need.

Tips for a Smooth Experience

1. Start Early: start with the blocked account process as soon as you receive your university admission letter or job offer. This will give you ample time to resolve any issues that may arise.

2. Stay Organized: Keep all your documents, confirmation letters, and receipts in a dedicated folder for easy access.

3. Seek Help: Don’t hesitate to ask for assistance from your university’s international office or other expats who have gone through the process.


Setting up a blocked account is a crucial step for anyone planning to study or work in Germany. While the process may seem unsettling at first, understanding the requirements and following the necessary steps can make it manageable. By ensuring you have sufficient funds and choosing the right provider, you can smoothly navigate the financial aspects of your move to Germany, allowing you to focus on your new academic or professional journey. With this guide, you’re well-equipped to handle the blocked account process and start your adventure in Germany with confidence.

Open chat
Want to study overseas?
Want Edu. Consulting?